Randal

Randal

Will History Repeat?

Watergate, Roe v. Wade, Vietnam, and the Month That Changed America Forever January 1973 (Hardback) - Common - James Robenalt and John W. Dean

January 1973: Watergate, Roe v. Wade, Vietnam, and the Month That Changed America Forever

This was an outstanding book. The author takes a one month term, January 1973, and shows how much important history occurred in (and around) that particular time period. The Watergate trial began, the Vietnam War's end was negotiated, the Supreme Court issued it's Roe v. Wade abortion ruling, and Nixon's second term began. Through a masterful effort, Robenalt weaves together how all the events came about, and how they were related. I thought that I understood before how odd Richard Nixon was, but this book really pulls it all together. An obviously talented and intelligent man, Nixon allowed his own low self-esteem and distrust of others to develop into a full-blown paranoia. This led him to surround himself with self-serving toadies, who were more than happy to feed into his conspiracies and double-dealing. The whole crew eventually brought down Nixon's presidency.
Easy to read, extremely well flowing, hard hitting writing. Read this, and you cannot help but draw parallels with some of today's politicians. God help us!

Completed On: April 23, 2015