Randal

Randal

Wonderful!

Beginning French: Lessons from a Stone Farmhouse - Les Americains

"Beginning French" is a truly lovely gem of a story. The authors, along with their adult daughter, purchase a "home" in a tiny medieval village named Issageac, in the Dordogne area of France.
I know what you're thinking; you have heard this story before, right? I, too, have read many books with the same premise. However, in this case, the authors have created a different atmosphere, not all is sunshine and wine, nor gloom and doom. Their approach is one of honesty, whereby they lay bare their souls in describing their journey to try to "become French" (albeit with a good dose of humor).
Whether it's describing a local "night market", toads in the swimming pool, the Lascaux caves (fascinating descriptions), or an overly-amorous carpet salesperson, you will feel like you are standing next to the authors as they have their experiences.
They have some great insights into life also. That money doesn't equate with wealth. Wealth comes from investing in things that matter. Things like family, experiences, learning about other people and cultures.
I became emotionally invested in this book. So much so that at one point, I found myself genuinely concerned about their future (no spoiler allowed). That's a rarity for me these days, and it was a nice feeling.
And if the story isn't enough to pique your interest, there are numerous wonderful recipes in the book, created by their daughter, a chef.
Do yourself a favor and check this book out. You will not be disappointed!